Friday, January 7, 2011

Fun With Geography!

Ok. First off, I want to get something out of the way. It's no secret that the flavor of this blog has taken a turn in the last week or so. I like to think of it as a good turn. I'm finally getting back to me. Old Katie, crazy Katie, call it what you will. Katie got lost for a few years there, but she's making headway. (Another way of making headway would be to not refer to herself in the 3rd person. Baby steps, people. Baby. Steps.)

Some of you (or at least Libby) might be familiar with http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/ and they might think I am totally copying it. Let me say that I was definitely inspired by Allie (I literally roll on the floor and cry when I read her blog) but I am not copying her. I can refer you to my mother, who has notebooks upon notebooks upon notebooks of my short stories and drawings from when I was younger. My personal favorite is from when I was 9. It was drawn during a particularly lively (read: boring) sermon at the McPherson Free Methodist Church (no hate) and it depicts Herman and Eddie Munster in nun's habits. It's entitled...wait for it... "The Nunsters". Yeah. I've been like this for awhile.

Allie's blog just inspired me to let that side of me out again. I can't tell you how happy I've been the last few days as I feel very creatively satisfied. (My creative side is probably the biggest side of me... and I have some pretty big sides... literally and figuratively.) You should check out "Hyperbole and a Half", but be warned; You're gonna need earmuffs (eyemuffs?) because her language gets pretty salty sometimes.

That out of the way, on to todays informative writing!

Last night, I had a terrible, sudden headache. I told Roomie "Oh man. I have a headache the size of Moscow" (pronounced Moss-cow) and that started this terrible ball rolling. This is going to be painful, but bear with me as I feel it could also be rewarding. (In terms of laughter.)


Fun with Moscow!


Example #1

If you watch "The IT Crowd", you're going to recognize this friendly face (in cow form)! If you don't watch that show, look it up on YouTube. You won't regret it. I wish Moss-cow was a real being instead of a mythical creature.

Example #2


Not as funny as first Moss-Cow, but still comedically rewarding. He needs a good scrubbin'!



Fun with Kansas!

Example #1


Now, to be completely fair, I didn't come up with the whole "Cansass" thing. A friendly Verizon Warranty Department worker (representative) came up with it for me, as he spelled "Kansas Ave" as "Cansass Ave" on a phone box. However, turning it into "Can's Ass" was all me.


Example #2

As a person who was particularly sassy in her younger years (but hey, who wasn't? It was the 80's!) this was naturally my second reaction to "Cansass". And yes, that is a genuine Katie quote from 1988. (We even have it documented! On crisp and vibrant VHS!)
This one was just completely uncalled for, but I hear it fifty million times a day, and each time it's like a tiny gnome taking an ice pick to my inner ear.
What's so confusing about Texas? How hard is it to properly pronounce TEXTS? Lazy Americans, stop being lazy and PRONOUNCE WORDS PROPERLY!!!
And that was our informational meeting for the day. You are correct, there was absolutely NO substance to this blog today. It was just an excuse for me to draw pictures. You see right through me.
Go forth in excellence and safety!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment