Monday, April 25, 2011

"As consumers in a commercial driven culture we can begin to view other souls as objects, or potential cures for our deepest fears and insecurities. "Perhaps if I found the right lover I would no longer feel this deep existential despair." But of course no human soul could be the Constant Other, the face that will never go away. Only the infinite can fill that role. But the silence can be deafening. It's a fearful thing to be alone. Do you love me enough to let me go? "I can't live without you"- "I would die if you ever left me"- These are not the songs of love, these are the songs of consumption." - Jon Foreman

2 comments:

  1. *like*

    I know myself enough to know that I couldn't ever be happy with someone who couldn't live without me. I don't think I could be happy with someone that I was afraid I would die without. Oy, the anxiety.
    "Consumption" is the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's like you knew I needed to hear this... even before anything happened.

    ReplyDelete