Saturday, December 4, 2010

Words

I'll be the first person to tell you that I'm not usually that affected by words of others. I'll say that, but in reality what happens is that I brush them off, think "what a jerk" and go about my business until later. I'll go to bed and while I'm laying there in the darkness, waiting for sleep to overtake me, the words raise their ugly heads and taunt me.

Most times I just tell them to shut up, but last night.... last night was rough.

What makes people think that they have the right to just hurl words at you? Maybe I just get more than my fair share of them since I work with the public.

Thursday, I saw a lady at Walmart that I knew from work. She says "What did you do to your hair?!?!?" (I always dye it a bright bright red, and then it fades out to what people usually see me in.) I said "Oh, this color? It's usually this color and then it fades. I wanted to feel extra Christmasy!" (Yes, it's that red.) She then replied "Looks more like Halloween to me..."

OK, great. You don't like my hair. If you don't like it, just don't say anything. I never say anything about your lack of teeth.

Yesterday, I had an elderly gentleman come in to work and need assistance with his bill. This comes in at least once a month and I help him every time. Last month, he looks at me and goes "You ain't pregnant are you?" to which I replied "Of course not!" and he then says "You're looking PUDGY around the middle!" Awesome. He came in yesterday and told me if I didn't do something on his bill right, he was gonna "come around that desk and" and then his voice trailed off. I said "You'll do what? Call me pudgy again!?" and he said "Well, I wouldn't have to call you pudgy if you wasn't!".

Great, you think I'm fat. I never say anything about your overwhelming body odor and terrible manners.

Why do they think it's any of their business?

I had a conversation about flirting with a friend last night and when I said "I try not to flirt. It's annoying." he replies "You should try it sometime. It's like what you do except less desperate."

OK, awesome.

I'm pudgy and I come off as desperate? What?

So, what I'm gathering from these conversations is that if I lose 40 pounds and just be quiet or learn how to flirt "properly", I'll be lovable.

Noted.

I think I'll just buy a good pair of earplugs instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment