Saturday, November 27, 2010

Good Point

If I had a penny for every wise word of advice that I'd heard while getting my hair done...


Let's just said I wouldn't be living in Kristin's basement.

Yesterday as my mom was dying my hair (because I got her "premature grey" gene) she shot me a very random question. In fact, random is a major understatement.

"What do you think of Princess Diana?"

"Um, huh?" I thought to myself, "This is a trap. Tread carefully."

"What do you mean, Mom?"

"I mean, what do you think of Princess Diana? What's the first thing you think of when you think of her?"

"I think she was pretty, and awesome, and a good mom."

"Mmhmm. What else?"

"I think she was sad and mislead by some people. But she did nice things for the less fortunate. I think she was insecure, she had an eating disorder and stuff, which was stupid because everyone thinks she was really beautiful... is this a trick question? What are you trying to get at?"

"You notice how the first thing you thought of wasn't her ugly divorce?"

"Mmhmm."

"She was a strong woman. Everyone looks at her as a strong woman. Everyone thinks Prince Charles is stupid because he divorced her and married Camilla, right?"

"Oh, yeah. Good point. Prince Charles is gross."

"So, don't let your divorce define you. People think you're strong too."

Wow. I had two thoughts: A) My mom just compared me to Princess Diana. B) I hadn't realized I was still being that affected by the it, but I was even more determined to say "screw you, divorce."

Why am I letting myself be so affected by my circumstances? Former circumstances at that!

I don't want people to think about me and equate me with my divorce, so why do I think of myself and equate me with my divorce? I'm not even going to call it "my" divorce anymore. I don't want to own that thing! It's more like "that one stupid thing that happened that one time".

No comments:

Post a Comment